Monday, March 25, 2013

Book Review: CHARTS ON THE BOOK OF HEBREWS


Book Review:
CHARTS ON THE BOOK OF HEBREWS Herbert W. Bateman IV Kregel, Grand Rapids, 2012.                        Charts on the Book of Hebrews  -     
        By: Hebert W. Bateman

I am not a fan of chart books. I have found many of them confusing, lacking clear explanation with the charts, and very general in scope.  This type of book appeals more for the academic or seminary students, more than the Pastor. However, I was interested in this book of charts because I plan to do a series of studies on Hebrews.

With that said, I must say I was somewhat surprised by this book. It’s comprehensive on the subject of the book of Hebrews, and much better than most books of charts. It is a very good place to begin research, as Bateman gives good resource information in many of the charts. The charts are understandable and will aid anyone in the study of Hebrews. I suspect that this comes from its specialization on one book of the Bible—a great idea. It does not have to take the broad approach that many chart books take. Bateman divides the charts into four areas: Introductory Considerations, Old Testament and Second Temple Influences, Theology in Hebrews, and Exegetical Matters in Hebrews. There are numerous charts in each section. My overall impression is very good. I also appreciate the section of Chart Comments, which gives insight into the charts and is helpful. Plus there is an excellent Bibliography at the end.

There are some things I consider as weaknesses however. First, some charts seem balky and the information could have been condensed; this is especially true of some of the introductory charts where the information is repetitive. Second, some of the charts start in the middle of the page, for example is I was using the Words Unique to Hebrews chart (104) I would prefer each chapter of Hebrews to have its own individual chart, rather than the whole book in one chart. It would make it easier to reproduce in one page, rather than two, if I was using the part of the chart just for Hebrews 3. I would like to see more variation of design in the charts. Third, it would have been nice if the publisher would had added a Power-point CD of the charts to be used in the classroom.  

These weaknesses do not discount the value of this book. The book consists of treasures for students of Hebrews. It will be helpful to the Bible teacher and Pastor for basic research. It puts information right at hand that might otherwise take several books. It is a gold mine of information. The charts will greatly aid the Bible teacher and will be useful in teaching this great book of Hebrews. Anyone doing a study of Hebrews will find it insightful and helpful. It would be a worthwhile addition to your library.

Kregel Academic was kind enough to provide me a review copy of this book for my unbiased opinion.  

No comments:

Post a Comment