Tuesday, June 26, 2012

THE GOSPEL OF JOHN by J. Ramsay Michaels

This is a massive work (1094 pages) on John, which replaces Leon Morris’ work in The New International Commentary on the New Testament series. As I have been doing some study in the Gospel of John, I added it to my library. I must say that after using it, I am not impressed with Michaels work. While he is conservative in the approach to John, I am disappointed in the commentary. I found the following: 


  • I was surprised that he acts mostly with older scholars (Bultman and Barrett); little with Carson and Keener, and with Kostenberger at all. I was expecting more. To me this dates the work before it came out.
  • He is not afraid of controversy; in fact he opens in Gospel with such with his view of the Prelude.  Some of this is interesting, but does not outweigh the rest of the work.
  • He downgrades the idea of John the Apostle being the author. His conclusion is we cannot know who wrote it.
  • He has some unusual interpretations. An example of a fanciful connection is found in John 19:30 where he connects Jesus laying his head and giving up the spirit to Matthew 8:20 where Jesus had no place to lay his head (page 964).
  • He seems to be brief on theological issues, and does not cover others, like John’s use of the Old Testament.
  • Overall, I found he did not add much to what I found in other works.
I would not recommend this work. To me the cost benefit is not there. The cost is great and for me the benefit are little. In my humble opinion it certainly does not measure up to the work it replaces by Leon Morris. Carson, Keener, Kostenberger, and Beasley-Murray are much better choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment